Mother of three sons who are now grown. I had two very long births and one quick one; two at home and one in a hospital.
Education As A Doula
My experience includes over 1000 births as an attending doula. Worked for 18 months with the Kaiser Doula Research Project, assisting 28 families in the study with their births. Started attending births as a doula in 1986, certified through ACBE (Academy of Certified Birth Educators) in 1996. Member of PALS (Professional Assisted Labor Support) in 1997 and then a founding member of Valley Foothill Doula Collective in 1997. Member of DONA (Doulas of North America) since 1996 and certified through DONA in 2000. Former president of the Valley Foothill Doula Collective. Current member of Capital City Doulas.
My QualificationsI have gone through labor myself three times, and worked for decades with families in their labor process. My life lends itself to being available for your needs. I strongly encourage the use of a birth ball both during pregnancy, to assist in preparing for labor, and during labor as a tool to assist in relaxation and management of discomfort. I do light massage on occasion in labor to provide comfort. I have worked with couples through almost any situation in labor and pregnancy so I have a high comfort level with the process. It is a real privilege to work with families through their labors. I especially love to work with dads through birth, since they are able to give so much that I can’t (that strong emotional support women need). Labor is really a team effort by those providing the support. As a doula, I realize my place, and it’s not to be in charge (unless that is the wish of the mom-to-be).
My goal has been to answer the question: “What is a doula?”
I have been fortunate to work through the local media in promoting doulas.
• Guest blogger on herselfmoms.com, 5/17
• Quoted in online article in Sacramento Parent, 12/2011, entitled “Labor Goals: The New Birth Plan”
• Contributed to a magazine article by Lori Shinn, 1/08 called “The Doula Difference”
• Article in Internation Doula, 2003, “Working With First Time Families”
• Poem “A Moment in My Life” published in Fall, 2000 issue International Doula (see welcome page).
• Channel 3 segment on Healthwatch with Dr. Tom Hopkins on doulas, 11/2000.
• Contributed to a book on birth balls published by Polly Perez, 2000; Contributed to an e-book by Rachel Gurevich called “How To Be A Doula“, distributed 2000.
• Letters To The Editor in Salon.com (12/15/99) regarding an article on doulas that had appeared the week before.
• Group segment in 11/97 on Channel 13 with Marcia Valenzuela discussing doulas and our doula collective. Article in Viewpoint about my work as a doula in 1997.
• Segment on For Baby’s Sake with Cristina Mendonza in 8/97. She followed me with a birth and conducted a followup interview with the couple.
• Interview with Alicia Malaby on Channel 3, 11/96, discussing end of Kaiser Study and the benefits of doulas.
• Front page article was published in the Sacramento Bee, 3/15/96, entitled “Doula Delivers“, discussing the Doula Study at Kaiser and accompanying me on a birth.